[tei-council] xsi:location

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Oct 23 23:36:59 EDT 2007

> I suppose we could preprocess the RNG XML as as a special-case
> stage in the XSD-generating pipeline?

I think it's a good idea, but was scared to suggest it for fear that
Sebastian would pull his remaining hair out.

> > Ask Mr Clark what he'd suggest?  Why is he trapping that as an error?

It looks to me like it is supposed to be an error. But it's not
entirely clear. The spec says

   Schema Component Constraint: xsi: Not Allowed
   ------ --------- ----------- ---- --- -------
   The {target namespace} of an attribute declaration, whether local
   or top-level, must not match
   'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' (unless it is one of the
   four built-in declarations given in the next section).

Since xsi:schemaLocation and xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation *are* two
of the four declarations in the next section, I would have thought
they may be declared. But the spec goes on to say

   Note: This reinforces the special status of these attributes, so
   that they not only need not be declared to be allowed in
   instances, but *must* not be declared.

which is pretty explicit that they must not be declared.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#coss-attribute.