[tei-council] tables

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Oct 23 23:10:08 EDT 2007

> ... insert a sentence about how easy it is to incorporate the OASIS
> XML version of the CALS table model into a TEI schema a bit later.

Of course, it isn't really all that easy. At least, I haven't found
it so. My attempt has lead me to some questions:

1) Does anyone know where to find an RNG expression of the OASIS
   table model, preferably one that has an ns= on <grammar>?

2) If you are including an RNG file into your ODD via <moduleRef
   url=>, and that RNG file does *not* have a namespace, is there any
   way of saying "this is not part of the TEI namespace"?

3) I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it, but it seems
   wrong to me that in the ODD the prefix pattern has to be specified
   on the name= of an <rng:ref> that refers to an element within a
   <moduleRef url=>.

4) In looking for a namespace for the OASIS table, I found
   http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/options/OASIS/tag-library/19990315/n-rk20.html.
   But of course, that's not a valid namespace! Any thoughts on what
   we should do about it? Possibilities include:
   a) use it, and tolerate all the "that's not a valid URI" warnings
   b) make up our own
   c) find a real namespace (I haven't so far)
   d) ask OASIS about it
   Unless there are very strong feelings against, I'm inclined to do
   (d) even as we might work on other solutions.

In any case, I have an ODD that works, but I ended up extracting a
table DTD from http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/tm9901.html, putting
it in my local filesystem, converting it to RNG, adding an ns=
attribute to <grammar> in the RNG, and then pointing to that from my
ODD. I'm not sure that's entirely kosher.