[tei-council] NH revised

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Oct 19 20:58:51 EDT 2007

Hi all,

There is a revised version of NH now:
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/NH.html

I did a fair bit of cutting, reorganising and filling in. It was all
along the lines I proposed to council and we decided I should pursue,
but I found I was able to work more with the material in the order it
appeared than I originally thought.

I'd originally said I'd pass it on to Syd first for comment, but with
time apressing, I thought it might be good to get it out for comment
ASAP as well. Perhaps these can happen in parallel.

I made a number of changes but these are the biggest/ones I'm most
worried about:

1) I added a discussion of using milestones like lb to delimit
non-nesting text. This is in addition to other discussions in the
Guidelines
2) I changed the generic section delimiter from non-tei boundary to
tei:anchor; @type is used to indicate that the use is a delimiter;
@subtype used to indicate the element/feature being delimited; and @n to
indicate the ordinal begin/end
3) I dropped a section on remodelling the document class
4) I collapsed the various types of segment delimitation into a single
section
5) I added what seemed to be a missing section on join. This is in
addition to the discussion elsewhere in the guidelines
6) I replaced the three examples (German, Italian, and Tom Leyer) with
two more-or-less equivalent English ones (Wordsworth and Pinsky). I
wonder if the Pinsky is really better than the Leyer, however: it is
missing a feature the Leyer one had and replacing Pinsky with Leyer is
not difficult. I don't think we should have more than two main sample
texts.

The use of anchor instead of a non-tei boundary element is the most
controversial bit, I think. I'm concerned myself that the use of @n for
first and last may be attribute abuse, and Syd I know is concerned that
this might be abusing anchor (actually, he's sure it is; the point is up
for debate ;). I think I am also underselling HORSE in the current
version.

I'm happy (and can afford the time) to correct the version that is up
now in response to comments from council and would like a last cleanup
anyway after the conference call, as I was working in haste. But I'd
very much like to hear what others think, and we as a council need to
decide if this is what we wanted when we voted for plan 1a a fortnight
or so ago.

-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair, Department of English