[tei-council] comments on ST

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 16:12:58 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:

>     * Ecological Metadata Language (EML)
>     * Mathematical Markup Language
>     * MusicXML
>     * The Information and Content Exchange (ICE) Protocol
>     * Resource Description Framework (RDF)
>     * Chemical Markup Language (CML)
>     * CMLReact (related to above, don't know how)
>     * PIDL - Personalized Information Description Language
>     and none of them use xml:space= at all.
None of these however is concerned with text. To re-use the metaphor I
seem to have launched into the wild of TEI-L recently, they are all
exclusively about the hare and not at all about the hounds.

>  Furthermore, some schemas
>     that you would expect to have xml:space= (because they are for
>     authoring documents) only use it in limited ways:
>     * Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext DTD (IBTWSH) -- only on
>       root <html> element
>     * DocBook -- only "preserve" on certain elements

this is the closest to TEI, so the fact that it does seem to want
xml:space is interesting...
>     * DHQ -- only on <eg>

isnt that TEI-related in some small way?
>     The only languages I know about that seem to have it declared more
>     generally are out of the W3C:
>     * XHTML
>     * SVG

Both rather crucial to the TEI community methinks? SInce we actually
recommend using SVG, it doesnt seem unreasonable to at least anticipate
some users for it? In which case...