[tei-council] comments on ST

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Oct 18 12:21:08 EDT 2007

> Sebastian has now pointed out to me that this is not something we
> have much say in. W3C says XML documents can use those attributes
> without formal declaration, so we need to document them for
> consistency.

Nonsense! It says the *may* use them *with* formal declaration. The
very clear implication is that if you don't want them (and I claim we
don't), don't declare them.

   A special attribute named xml:space MAY be attached to an element
   to signal an intention that in that element, white space should be
   preserved by applications. In valid documents, this attribute,
   like any other, MUST be declared if it is used.

In no way does this mean that a schema has to declare xml:space=,
only that it has to declare xml:space= if an instance is to use it.
TEI instances aren't to use it.

> > No. Although I can try to find a real example from the WWP if you
> > like.

> Yes, please do.

OK, I'll try to take a look this afternoon.