[tei-council] eg bib refs

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:32:57 EDT 2007

> > (a) suppress all but one case (and therefore also suppress any biblScope
> > info, e.g.  that this particular example is from page 23, and that one
> > from page 234)
> >
> > (b) replace the full details for the source with the magic string "ibid"
> > the second and subsequent times it appears, assuming there is also a
> > biblScope, of course.
> >
> > (c) just repeat everything (though preferably not if it is mutually
> > contradictory)
> >
> I would do (a)/(c), and just use common sense on whether to repeat
> or conflate. I think you'll only hesitate for a second or two on
> almost all examples of duplicates.

I agree, although I'd use (a) iff the entries are really the same
(even to the <biblScope>) and use (c) otherwise. I'd also be inclined
to stick a sameAs= on each <bibl> that points to the same item, even
if the <biblScope>s are different. (Some folks might argue that
sameAs= isn't viable if the <biblScope>s are different, though, in
which case we'd have to use a <link>.)