[tei-council] ST done with for now: please read!

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 20:53:51 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I am now going to move on to other chapters for a while. But I would
> very much appreciate it if some, nay all, Council members were to read
> this one in its current form and let me know of any serious
> glitches/typos/incomprehensible patches. It's probably the most
> important part of P5 to be sure we get right, since it affects
> everything; along with the USE chapter it's also one of those which is
> almost entirely new material that hasn't been read by anyone except its
> author yet.

I did read ST on a longish train ride over the weekend.  Unfortunately,
I lost my notes, so I have to cite from memory.

In 1.2 you say:

<q>Local systems may allow their schema or DTD to be implicit, but for
interchange purposes the schema associated with a document /must/ be
made explicit.</q>

However, as far as I can see there is nowhere mentioned how one is going
to make this association explicit.  I recall that we have not come to a
conclusion of this for P5 1.0, but we should at least mention how one
might go ahead and make such a association.

Under 1.4.1., the following sentence seems a bit obscure to me:

<q>In XML names (and thus the values of xml:id in an XML TEI document)
upper and lower case letters are distinguished, and thus partTime and
parttime are two distinctly different names, and could (though perhaps
unwisely) be used to denote two different element types.</q>

My suggestion would be to change the last words to "two different values
for @xml:id."

In the section on global attributes, the long explanation of
@rend/@rendition seems a bit distracting.  I'd rather see a brief
one-sentence statement here and have the long story in the Header chapter.

Apart from that, I would say the chapter does its job reasonably well,
although I think it is tough reading to start with.

All the best,

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern