[tei-council] some attribute issues

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Oct 16 20:46:25 EDT 2007

> You don't sound like a broken record particularly, and I'm very
> happy to patch up these details, but may I reiterate please that it
> is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to read and comment on the new ST ?

You may certainly reiterate it, but it would be redundant and a bit
pointless, as you already asked me to take a look at ST this morning,
and I already told you I'm on it.

> fixed

Check. I agree, "markup" is better.

> > * I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but the version=
> >   attribute of <TEI> is still declared as data.decimal. (Besides not
> >   doing cool things like pointing to the ODD, which IIRC James wants
> >   and is what derailed the conversation last time, this doesn't even
> >   permit "1.0.1", or "5.0.1" or "P5 1.0".)
> What should it be then?

Well, unless we can agree on a version numbering scheme in *very*
short order (for which I don't have high hopes, as we have been
unable to do so for years), I think it has to be
  <datatype maxOccurs="unbounded">
    <rng:ref name="data.word"/>
  </datatype>
no?

Personally, I'd much prefer we dictate what should be used as the
version number. E.g. "P5" followed by ":" followed by either
a) the Sourceforge release number, e.g. "0.4.1",
b) the Sourceforge revision number, e.g. "r3682", or
c) the date of the revision, e.g. "2007-05-23".
Or some such system.

> > * The example in the quotation tagdoc
> >   (http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web-beta/en/html/ref-quotation.html)
> >   should use references to Unicode code points (e.g. "double curly
> >   quotation marks: U+201C and U+201D") instead of prose descriptions.
> >   While we're here, why is the default value of marks= of <quotation>
> >   "all"? This didn't make sense to me in P4, either.
> Because that is the normal expected behaviour: use Unicode characters.

The example still needs to be changed, whether or not the default is
changed.

But you've convinced me that the default should be removed. It is
most certainly *not* the normal expected behavior in a TEI document
to retain all quotation marks. That's the expected behavior in a
Project Gutenberg plain-text file, not a TEI file. At the very least,
in a TEI file there is no expected behavior (which is one good reason
to have a <quotation> element :-).

Back to ST for a bit before bed.