[tei-council] Further update on PH

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Oct 9 15:58:29 EDT 2007

Are we aware of any coordinate system/datum that requires angle be
expressed in degrees, minutes, and seconds rather than decimal
degrees? I am not, but I am far from an expert. Unless there is such
a system, I think we should stick with Lou's suggestion (at least,
Lou posted it here) that the values be decimal degrees, period.

I just spoke to a staffer over at Brown's Geological Sciences
department, who explained enough of this coordinate system/datum
business to me that I'm pretty convinced we should stick to a range
of -90 to 90 for latitude, -180 to 180 for longitude. (In any system,
the *angles* stay the same, even though the *distances* they
represent on the surface may be different, as the different systems
are based on different measurements of the size of the earth.)

So barring expert input to the contrary, I'd say we should stick to
decimal degrees only, 90 and 180 max absolute value, respectively.