[tei-council] entities delenda sunt?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 6 12:08:41 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/TS.html#TSTPPR
>>
> that's evil evil evil. how has it survived?
>> Do we think this should be
>> (a) removed -- user-defined entities are a bad habit to be discouraged
>> (b) left well alone -- life's too hard
>> (c) replaced by an example showing how to add user-defined elements
>> (d) complemented by the same
>>
> definitely not (b) or (d).  it simply won't work, because so much
> software will
> simply expand the entities and lose the carefully-added info.  how,
> these days, would you trap those entities?
>
> they could use gaiji stuff, of course. or are these milestones? or even
> processing-instructions.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, of course, they are gaijin. I have
hacked the text accordingly.

There were quite a few other bits of this chapter which don't seem to
have been touched since the year dot: I don't think it can have been
proof read recently, or not very attentively anyway. I have spent most
of today cleaning it up anyway. And also correcting the egregious error
which someone on TEI-L reported yesterday, whereby spoken elements could
not appear within ordinary phrase level elements even when this module
was loaded.