[tei-council] vote on NH

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Oct 1 20:07:58 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-10 at 19:09 -0400, Syd Bauman wrote:
> I don't know if my vote counts or not, but I am definitely and
> strongly in favor of A. I think it is important that NH be included
> in P5 1.0. As I've said before, you can't have Guidelines for
> encoding extant texts with XML that don't address overlap.
>
> While I think either suggested re-arrangement would be an
> improvement, I do not think it is at all essential that the
> re-arrangement occur before 1.0. If Lou has time, great. If not, it
> is not a show-stopper, it can be done later. In either case, I think
> A2 might be the somewhat better starting point.
>
> Whether the chapter gets its re-arrangement before or after 1.0, what
> we really should be doing for 1.1, IMHO, is to
>
> * have NH generate a module that includes at a minimum
>   next=, prev=, and part=
>
> * address what bits belong in SA, and what belongs in NH
>
> * commit to supporting one form (or at most two forms) of segment
>   boundary delimiters in at least a limited fashion -- this may well
>   require work in TD to match
>
> * include a section discussing that the use of milestones (<pb>,
>   a particular kind of overlap

I like this as a minimal discussion, I'm just really worried about time!
I also like your suggestion about building in support for boundary
delimiters as part of the guidelines. It seems to me to be on par with
Conal and Dot's work on facsimiles.

Is an approach perhaps to treat this like the physical bibliography. as
a module that was simply not ready for the release but is clearly
coming? We've only got 30 days and I think this might be some big work.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative <http://www.tei-c.org/>
Director, Digital Medievalist Project <http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/>
Associate Professor and Chair of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox: +1 403 329 2378
Fax: +1 403 382-7191