[tei-council] Permalinks, Pilcrows, and Punch.

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Oct 1 09:48:41 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> James Cummings wrote:
>> 5) A pilcrow is an internationally recognised character for such
>> subject.
> my reading of permalinks suggests that this functionality
> is not that of a permalink...

Ok, we are perhaps misusing the term.  Permalinks refer to a permanent link for
a blog entry even when it has passed from the front-page or RSS/Atom feed, or
whatever.  What these are intended to be are permanent bookmarkable links for
each section and subsection of the guidelines to give a way for users to
reference these in a clickable way when discussing them.

Another option instead of using pilcrows, would be to use so-called 'Purple
Numbers'.  In our case, this would be to expose the @xml:id values for each
section.  So a heading might read:

6.4.1 Sample Metrical Analyses (VEMEsamp)

with 'VEMEsamp' being a greyed-out link to that section.  The problem then being
that maybe our id values are a bit ugly and we don't want to expose them.  That
is why I thought just using a permalink character to be better.

-James