[tei-council] vote on NH

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Sun Sep 30 21:04:31 EDT 2007

Well, then. I have to say I'm a little less inclined to spend the
rest of my night working on this chapter if it might be summarily
voted out.

I had not yet gotten to considering whether any of the suggestions
Sebastian & Dan made in the posts Christian mentions could be gotten
to tonight, but I think that's a moot point now.

I've tried to change the examples, as Sebastian suggested, to use
elements from another namespace, so they can be within <egXML> and
thus both be validated and be pretty color styled in the output. So
this has led, after a day of wrangling with our validation process,
to three significant technical problems in the current state[1].

1) In order to validate elements from the nh: namespace in the
   examples, the new pattern anyNH would have to be permitted not
   just at the root level of <egXML>, but within the content of any
   teix: element (other than empty ones).[2] Thus at the moment the
   nh: elements are flagged as invalid by our single-pass validation
   tests, but as valid by oNVDL.

2) The XHTML output of examples that have elements from other
   namespaces does not look good. Rather than using a prefix, there
   is an xmlns= attribute on the elements in question. (And, perhaps
   because of it, the whitespace of their attributes isn't handled
   well.) I haven't figured out how Sebastian has gotten this to work
   for MathML (see example immediately before
   http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web-beta/en/html/FT.html#FTGRA),
   and it isn't as much of a problem for for SVG (see example near
   the end of that same section).

3) As mentioned in previous post, <said> is not currently permitted
   in <s>.

Sebastian: one <bibl> reference was missed. I encoded it as a ptr to
NH-BIBL-9, which xml:id= I've added to my copy of BIB.

Notes
-----
[1] For me, locally, not checked in. Anyone who wants to read the
    XHTML can do so by looking at
    http://bauman.zapto.org/~syd/temp/P5/Guidelines-web-beta/en/html/NH.html
    in a browser. Lou, you can grab the source from the P5 directory
    on that server: http://bauman.zapto.org/~syd/temp/P5/. The files
    that would need to be checked in are:
      M            3453   Source/Guidelines/en/BIB-Bibliography.xml
      M            3453   Source/Guidelines/en/NH-Non-hierarchical.xml
      M            3453   p5odds.odd
      M            3453   Utilities/makeexnames.xsl
      M            3453   Makefile
      M            3453   p5odds-ex.odd
      M            3453   schemas.xml
      Status against revision:   3453
[2] I was just about to start thinking about whether this is doable
    at all, and if so how -- but if we're not going to have an NH,
    then we may not have to solve this problem at all, let alone
    right now.