[tei-council] NH

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 29 06:17:44 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> The important part of this post is the namespace & conformance issue,
> so I've placed it first.

>>> Indeed, depending on how CF reads, they probably should be
>>>
>> good, so they can be validated as well
>>

> We need to poke at this non-conformant markup issue a bit. Since
> segment-boundary elements could be automatically transformed into
> valid (against tei_all) markup without loss of information, one could
> argue that use of such elements is conformable or algorithmically
> conformant, and thus TEI Conformant. My reading of CF says that this
> is actually the case. And I think I'm OK with that.
>
> However, I feel it is worth thinking about the counter-argument, that
> although there is no loss of information, the valid TEI markup into
> which one might transform segment-boundary elements violates the TEI
> abstract model:
>
>    <lg type="stanza">
>      <l>sulla riva.<seg type="s" subtype="end"/>
>        <seg type="s" subtype="start"/>Si esauriva in me</l>
>      <l>il supplizio della sabbia,</l>
>    </lg>
>
> This doesn't go against the letter of P5, but it certainly has the air
> of tag abuse.
>
> So are we more comfortable with the boundary elements in another
> namespace, or are we OK with the above being strictly TEI Conformant?

This is not conformant because it breaks the abstract model. A <seg> is
supposed to have some content.

If you rewrote it with milestones it would be OK though.

(I am still wondering why you prefer "segment boundary" as a name to
"milestone" which is what we have always called these things till now
and still do call them elsewhere in the Guidelines)

> As for HORSE, the whole point of the encoding methodology is that the
> same element type is used both as a container and as empty boundary
> markers. Thus whether we describe it as conformable (and thus TEI
> Conformant) or that it uses a TEI Extension, the elements need to stay
> in the TEI namespace.

Same argument applies.  An empty <p/> means something different in TEI
proper.