[tei-council] some formatting thoughts -- reference documentation

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 28 16:52:13 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> * Most importantly (and Julia gets credit for convincing me of this),
>   the reference documentation pages need a "how to read this page"
>   guide. Just as when the utility company changes the look & feel of
>   your bill, they send along a "how to read your new bill" leaflet, we

um, and we throw it away :-}

but I can see its something to consider.
>   - Put a "(?)" icon link next to each row heading, and link them to a
>     pop-up window with a *short* description of what the information
>     means -- remember, lots of readers will not have read the
>     Infrastructure chapter yet, and won't know what a module is, or
>     will be confused by this "Members" business. These short
>     descriptions    + don't need to be part of the Guidelines per se
>     + can (and perhaps should) be written by Christine, Julia, and the
>       UVa web team

sure, if you want to organize them into getting it done, they could be
plonked in.

> * If we're going to go with the javascript alphabet-box, we should do
>   so for classes & macros too, no?

I wondered that. Trouble is, its a little harder, as they all start with
"model." and "att.",
so I could not just re-use the code.
>     of course, if it's a whole lot easier to code, we could just
>     consider breaking it into 2 appendices.

that might well be sensible, actually. in the old days, classes could be
both
model and attribute at the same time, but now they can't, they might
as well be separate lists.

I am not sure generally whether a lot of this is achievable, even if
James and Dot act fast next week and approve it all. Unless J&D
can code it themselves, I am pretty sure I can't. There are other things
I simply _have_ to do relating to I18N and Roma (and the bibl linking
stuff which seems to got itself added to my task list), and this
has to rank rather lower.