[tei-council] some formatting thoughts -- main Guidelines

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Sep 27 21:32:02 EDT 2007

> We did agree to leave James and Dot with the final word on this
> sort of thing; so no comment from me.

Well, yes, we did. But we also agreed to provide comments up until
tomorrow.

> I think you may misunderstand why I started down this line. As soon
> as the examples became genuine XML, rather than CDATA text, the
> XSLT processing was not able to preserve your hand-indentation.
> Well, maybe some way could be found to do so, but it is not
> feasible to do anything else at this stage.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't good reasons for
this approach.

> > * comments are not indented
> deliberately, indeed.

I fell (very strongly) that they should be. Their current position,
besides not matching anyone's style that I know of, really interrupts
the flow as ones eye reads down an example.

> > * at the root level an end-tag gets indented one too many
> sounds like a bug. can you show me an example to work on?

All of them. E.g., read WD.html and search for "r1".

Although it may be caused not by a problem with the root-level
end-tag (of which there may be more than one, remember), but the fact
that the start-tag of the 1st child of a root element is indented 2,
whereas everything else is indented 1.

> > * examples become more convoluted than necessary; see, e.g., the
> >   example with the string "#B49r" in
> >   http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web-beta/en/html/PH.html.
> >   It would be far more readable if the <lb> elements were aligned:[1,2]
> >
> quite possibly so.  but how on earth do you suggest we do that?

At the moment, I have no idea, although I bet it would involve a
special-case for <lb>.

> Sorry to be negative, but I am fairly gobsmacked that you choose to
> raise this on 27th September before a 1st November deadline,

Sorry to gobsmack you (that sounds icky), and yes, I should have
gotten this in earlier. But indeed, this is why we set the deadline
as Friday, no?