[tei-council] handy

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 18:10:09 EDT 2007

Arianna Ciula wrote:

> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> And I do think that saying "tough, you just have to do a full msDesc,
>> even if you're only interested in the hands" is not the right answer.
>
> I agree. I think the proposed solution is a fair compromise. I would
> only recommend to make explicit (may be in a note in the specs) what
> to use and when, even if just as you outlined in your message.

OK, I've added a bit more text along those lines, viz:

....The encoder may choose to place
<gi>handNote</gi> elements identifying individual hands in either
location without affecting their accessibility since the element is
always addressed by means of its <att>xml:id</att> attribute. The
<gi>handDesc</gi> element may be more appropriate when a full
cataloguing of each manuscript is required; the <gi>handNotes</gi>
element if only a brief characterization of each hand is needed.  It
is also possible to use the two elements together if, for example, the
<gi>handDesc</gi> element contains a single summary describing all the
hands discursively, while the <gi>handNotes</gi> element gives
specific details of each. The choice will depend on individual
encoders' priorities.</p>