[tei-council] handy

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 14:51:20 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
> I'm a bit confused. I haven't studied what you've done here, yet,
> just taken a glance. But why are there two elements <handNotes> and
> <handDesc>? They are very similar, almost identical.

I think the idea is that while <handDesc> is used to describe the
general writing in a manuscript and therefore doesn't necessarily need
to mention singular hands in it, <handNote> refers to the description of
a particular hand (be it The scribe's A Hand or one of the many
interventions of a scribe/author over time on the same manuscript).

> <handDesc> has a hands= attribute; if we really don't want that on
> the <handNote> wrapper when MS is not loaded, then we should put it
> in an attribute class defined by MS.

My understanding was that if you loaded PH, than you would get
<handDesc> which has the @hands attribute.
The attribute @hands as currently defined wouldn't make sense in <handNote>.

> <handDesc> permits paragraphs or <handNote>s (but not both), whereas
> <handNotes> allows only a series of <handNote>s. Is it really
> inappropriate to use <p> inside the wrapper when a child of
> <profileDesc>?

Personally I am not in favour of the use of <p> for things that
'semantically' can be paragraphs as well as anything else we want them
to be in the header especially since we have good wrappers. So I think
we should avoid - if possible (although in MS we have paragraph
everywhere...sob...).

If so, I think I'd still be in favor of combining
> these two elements, and using Schematron to issue a warning if
> profileDesc/handDesc/p occurs.

But the whole point was to allow people who don't want to load MS to be
able to list descriptions of specific hands and point to them from
chunks of the main text.

I am aware that probably not many projects would use PH without MS, but
what if they wanted to? what would the @hand attribute point to?

I am sorry if I have confused you more rather than help here.

Arianna