[tei-council] handy

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Sep 27 13:47:41 EDT 2007

I'm a bit confused. I haven't studied what you've done here, yet,
just taken a glance. But why are there two elements <handNotes> and
<handDesc>? They are very similar, almost identical.

<handDesc> has a hands= attribute; if we really don't want that on
the <handNote> wrapper when MS is not loaded, then we should put it
in an attribute class defined by MS.

<handDesc> permits paragraphs or <handNote>s (but not both), whereas
<handNotes> allows only a series of <handNote>s. Is it really
inappropriate to use <p> inside the wrapper when a child of
<profileDesc>? If so, I think I'd still be in favor of combining
these two elements, and using Schematron to issue a warning if
profileDesc/handDesc/p occurs.

Am I missing something?