[tei-council] handy

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 12:00:11 EDT 2007

Well, this one turned out to be a bit of bother, certainly a lot less
straightforward than merging FS and FD. But thanks to yet another wizard
wheeze cooked up in Sebastian's office this morning, I think we're there
now.

The problem is that both PH and MS have good reason to want to define a
container for individual hand descriptions. PH stashes them away in a
thing called <handList> (now renamed <handNotes>), and MS in a thing
called <handDesc>. You might quite reasonably want either but not the
other; you might conceivably want both.

What I've done therefore is make <handNote> into a kind of "core"
element, which can be used in either of these two container elements. It
is declared in the header module, but it's completely
inaccessible/invisible unless you also load one or other of the PH or MS
modules. Whichever you load then brings in the appropriate container
element for you. And since you only ever access a <handNote> by means of
its xml:id value it matters not a jot which container you get it from.

Cunning as a sack full of ferrets, I calls it.