[tei-council] FS/FSD merged

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 18:53:00 EDT 2007

While waiting for comment on my proposal to abolish handList, I have
been working on FS/FSD. As promised some time ago, I've now merged
iso-fs and declarefs into a single module, called iso-fs, and also
folded the old chapter FD into the existing chapter FS, to become
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/FS.html#FD

I took the opportunity to try and make the way in which typed feature
structures and their declaration in an FSD a bit less rococo. Not sure
how successfully, but at least one other person in the world besides me
now vaguely understands it.  It is also now possible to have either a
freestanding fsd, or to embed one within a TEI document.

The first change means that  when new elements are needed, they can be
slotted in without breaking compatibility between tei and 10646-1. Too
late for TEI P5 1.0 though, unless they arrive in the next week or so.
The second change is just a lot easier to understand than the previous
slightly crazy way of doing things, and also more consistent with TEI
practice elsewhere. It makes the schema a bit simpler too.
The third change is in response to some of the comments (from France I
think) on the previous draft.

I am not happy with the current element names  (fsdDecl, fsDecl, fDecl
-- all a bit too similar!)
and I would like to replace both fsDescr and fDescr by the existing TEI
desc element since they all do the same thing.  But I don't think this
is likely to get done for 1.0