[tei-council] some formatting thoughts -- TOC

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Sep 26 14:46:08 EDT 2007

Looking at both
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/index-toc.html and
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web-beta/en/html/index-toc.html,
which look identical (and identical to the copies I built locally --
yay!) ...

* More distance is needed between top title and front matter block.
  Actually, more distance is probably warranted all over. The screen
  can become pretty messed up pretty quickly if you make the window
  narrow or increase the font size. (That it eventually gets messed
  up probably can't be helped, but it should not happen with
  reasonable sizes or widths.)

* Speaking of which, when the window is made too narrow or the type
  size too bag, the back matter block floats into the front matter
  block, and then the front matter block drops down to after the back
  matter. I like the idea of the floating back matter block off on
  the right, but if we can't get it to float to the right place on
  narrowing, we should just revert to simple list. It's not *that*
  horrible to force the user to press the "go to bottom of page"
  button (typically "end").

* Entries that have the plus-sign "unfold-me" icons are indented
  slightly less than their brethren. (If it's hard to see this,
  increate the type size.)

* I realize that these are done as lists, not tables. But
  nonetheless, I think we should try (hard) to do something to make
  the chapter & section headings line up properly (i.e., line up so
  that their L edges form a vertical line). For the numbered chapters
  this is pretty easy: just insert an en space (U+2002) in front of
  the numbers 1-9. (Not the digits 1-9; i.e.
  s/>([0-9][^0-9])/> $1/;) I'm not sure how to do this for the
  little roman numerals. (I tried using the Unicode roman numerals --
  it fixed the vertical alignment, but my browser showed me what look
  like simplified Chinese characters instead.) It might be reasonable
  to change the numeric labels to a fixed-width typeface.

* The lovely little plus-sign "unfold-me" icons should be much
  larger. (Speaking as someone who has difficulty managing a mouse,
  making the target larger makes it easier to hit!)

* The legalese at the bottom needs to be a smaller type size with
  respect to the rest. I just tried "x-small" and it looked OK.

And that's just the table of contents! I'll try to delve deeper
later.