[tei-council] more facsimile test

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 04:30:21 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Conal Tuohy wrote:
>
>> It's well out of (c) and is visually quite striking IMHO
>>
>> http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/Cow02NewZ-fig-Cow02NewZ067a.html
>>
>> (the artist, Gustavus Von Tempsky, was a famous mercenary who fought for
>> the Crown during the NZ wars)
>>
>> There are 4 identified figures, and also the volcano "Mount Egmont"
>> a.k.a. Taranaki.
>>

> cool!
>
> how would you mark up that prose caption, though?
> an interesting exercise in itself.

I agree that it's a nice example (I note that the named people are all
leading safely from the rear of the column) but
(a) can we get a better resolution image? this one is quite murky
(b) who owns the digital image and is it GPLd?

The prose caption is easy enough, I'd have thought, so long as you dont
worry about the rendition:

<figure>
<list>
<item><persName key="FRSTN">Dr Featherstone</persName></item>
<item><persName key="CHT">Major-General Chute</persName></item>
<item><persName key="TKR">Takiora, the guide</persName></item>
<item><persName key="VT">Von Tempsky</persName></item></list>
<head type="sub">From a drawing by Major Von Tempsky, 1866)</head>
<head type="main">Chute's Column on the March</head>
<graphic
url="http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/Cow02NewZ-fig-Cow02NewZ067a.html"/>
</figure>