[tei-council] handy...

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Sep 25 21:11:26 EDT 2007

My quick reaction is that it's a real shame we didn't address this
earlier (a lot earlier -- measured in years), but given the current
state of affairs, I think I agree with most all of Lou's suggestions,
and Arriana's att.handWriting. And I even like <handNote>'s scope=
more than <hand>'s first=.

One question, though. Why name the wrapper element <handDesc> instead
of <listHand>? (The answer, of course, is to maintain the parallelism
with the other xxxDesc stuff in MS; so what I'm wondering is which
parallelism is more important to keep?)

When we created @scribe of <handNote> we didn't have personography.
Now that we do, I don't wonder if it should be a pointer to a
<person> or <nym>. I realize that for many, many (perhaps the vast
majority) of manuscripts the details of the scribe can never be
known. But certainly for some of the manuscripts (e.g., those Matthew
spoke about in Victoria a few months ago) the scribe *is* known.

> @writing "describes other characteristics of the hand" e,g,
> "shaky", "thick",. There seems no advantage to giving such
> descriptive notes in an attribute.

The advantage is that it is data.enumerated, and users can create
their own controlled vocabulary. I don't know if this is much of an
advantage in manuscript description, though. My instinct is to keep
this one, saying that simple controlled descriptions can be provided
on the attribute, and detailed prose descriptions may be provided as
content. However I'd be happy to have the manuscripters say "nah, not
really useful" and nuke it.