[tei-council] unknown item in the agenda

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 09:28:50 EDT 2007

LB 	 Expand explanatory prose in USE concerning which elements are
mandatory and how a user can know this.

I think I remember what this is about now. I think at the previous
conference call Laurent pointed out that where in this chapter you say:

"If however the element deleted by some modification is mandatory within
the content model of some other (undeleted) element, the result is an
unclean modification because some documents that would be regarded as
valid by the new schema would be regarded as invalid according to the
original schema. If an element is defined as having some other specific
element as a mandatory child, removing that child would break the TEI
abstract model (24.3.3 Conformance to the TEI Abstract Model), though
the parent of a mandatory child can of course be removed safely if it is
itself optional."

there is no way for a user to know which elements are mandatory in the
prose of the chapters, so I think Lou had agreed to change the sentence
above a little bit. This is what I recollect.

Arianna
--
Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate