[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: Review of WD-NonStandardCharacters.xml]

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:31:29 EDT 2007

[Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed and I
 haven't read it yet. I just came back from a TEI Seminar at which
 I was basically unable to read mail. Thus my Inbox is swamped.]

I am confused by the recommendation in the 2nd half of the first
paragraph of
http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/P5/Guidelines-web/en/html/WD.html#D25-50:

   Therefore, unlike all other codepoints defined by the Unicode
   Standard, PUA codepoints should not be used directly in documents
   intended for blind interchange. Instead of using PUA codepoints
   directly in the document content, entity references should be
   used. This will make it easier for receiving parties to find out
   what PUA characters are used in a document and where possible
   codepoint clashes with local use on the receiving site might
   occur.

I had thought the preferred way to use codepoints from the PUA was to
use a <g> and point to a <char> that included a mapping to a PUA.
Isn't the above sort of like the 2nd best way to use 'em? (The worst
being to enter them directly.)

Indeed, the very next paragraph seems to support my suspicions.