[tei-council] rendition/rend proposal

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Sep 22 13:13:39 EDT 2007

John A. Walsh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is a summary of the rend/rendition proposal.  If we choose to
> adopt something along these lines, I can work with Lou and Syd to
> flesh it out.
>
> <http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~jawalsh/tmp/rend.html>
>
> John

I've now implemented this. Please check that I done it right!  Highlights:

* I removed <rendition> from att.internetMedia (anyone who wants to
describe their rendition by means of an MPEG movie is going to be
disappointed) in favour of an explicit list of possibilities viz "css",
"xslfo" "free" and "other" for the @scheme attribute

* I expanded the discussion of how <rendition> is to be used at HD57 and
ST considerably.

* you can now specify a default rendition using @render on tagUsage and
override it using @rendition on any element (I considered briefly
renaming the latter to @render also, but seem to recall that this wasnt
a popular idea in our previous discussion)

* the text now says (twice) that if you supply both @rendition and
@rend, the latter wins. But doesn't explain much of what that might
mean, since we don't really know what @rend means anyway.

Lou