[tei-council] new formatting of web version of Guidelines

James Cummings James.Cummings at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Sep 15 05:11:34 EDT 2007

Syd Bauman wrote:
>> My main problem with them at the moment is that I find it really
>> hard to get my mind around the front matter being listed in the
>> right hand column "after" (in for a reader used to left-to-right
>> columns) the main text.
>
> I have some sympathy for this concern. Not convinced either way, yet.

If you resize your browser window and bring in the right-hand side of it, at
some point you will notice the 'Back Matter' slip behind beneath the 'Front
Matter'.  If you keep going, the Front matter will end up before the Text Body
(which I think I really should rename 'Chapters', any disagreement?) and the
'Back Matter' will end up beneath the Text Body.  Front, Text, Back is what the
source looks like and that is honestly how it is displayed.  To have Them all in
one column on the left-hand side means that you never see the (quite important)
appendices because they are off the screen underneath the last few chapters.
What we've done is float the Front Matter right, float the text body left, and
the back matter right.  I experimented with floating the back matter right, but
that honestly looked worse.

An alternative option would be to float all of the left, so that it went Front,
Body in the middle and then Back.  When I attempted this it just looked weird to
me to have short column, big column, short column.

Another option is to process them in a different order in the XSLT: back, body
front, and float them the same way they are here.

We are already abusing html:table in other places for presentational purposes
(though I've tried to convince Sebastian to change this) and so I'd like to
avoid that if possible.

> However, I'm concerned that the granularity is too fine. The reader
> should be able to change the default for all declarations, rather
> than having to click on each individually. Is that possible now? If
> not, James & Sebastian, is it something that could be done in time?

I believe Sebastian 'has a plan' for something which might work.  Keep an eye on
the -beta site over the next few weeks. ;-)

>> I find at the moment the section by section directories difficult
>> to get used to, but that's probably because they are still novel to
>> me.
> +1

Yes, the miniTOC navigation boxes are a bit strange, but it was felt better to
have the navigation distinct from the text.  I'll assume that you've noticed
that they vanish when you print/print-preview.

> The things that most urgently need work, IMHO, are the "Children"
> section of the tagdocs, and the sectioning of the Macros and Classes
> appendices.

Yes, as Syd knows since Sebastian consulted him when he was doing it, these were
things which were left to the very end and so could probably use some
improvement.  I think grouping the children by module rather than superscripting
which module they are in would be better.  There is still some minor formatting
tweaks to get the element reference tables to display almost identically in all
browsers.

> Speaking of which, as there have been 2 "agrees" and no dissension,
> I've changed the name of Appendix C to "Datatypes and Other Macros".

If I'm not already one of those Agrees, then I certainly do.

-James