[tei-council] Comments on Chapter 18, Tables, Formulae, and Graphics.

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 18:39:40 EDT 2007

David J Birnbaum wrote:

>> The content model for cell would become ambiguous if we allowed
>> model.inter, which is permitted within macro.paraContent.
>
> Does this mean that <table> is already allowed directly inside <cell>
> because <table> is a member of model.inter, which is part of
> macro.paraContent, which is allowed directly inside <cell>?

Yes!

> If so, does this mean that a <row> may contain a mixture of <cell> and
> may themselves contain <table> elements?

Yes!

> If so, since I can't think of how those two ways of representing an
> embedded subtable would reflect different semantics, should we remove
> want a subtable will have to embed it inside a <cell>?
This was my thought too.

> Or am I still confused?

Far from it, on present evidence.
>> That said, I think the content model for these elements is quite
>> strange: in particular the way model.global is permitted between
>> cells and rows. Consider the following:

>> To which element is each of the four notes above attached?
>
> A very good question, indeed! I suppose the notes are attached to
> their parents, so #1 refers to the <row>, #2 to the cell, #3 also to
> the row, and #4 also to the row. Why, then (I hear you cry), are the
> three notes attached to the <row> located in different places, and how
> would it affect the semantics of the document if they were moved
> elsewhere within the <row> element?

Quite so. And what would we lose by saying "this is silly" and
disallowing model.global anywhere except inside <cell> (via paraContent,
vide supra)?

We'd lose the ability to put e.g. <lb/>s between cells, rather than
inside them. I don't think that would make me lose much sleep, but maybe
I;m missing something here?