[tei-council] MS Manuscript Description chapter: notes (part 1)

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 5 12:59:51 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:

>> - example with multiple foliation schemes: TO DO
>>
>> I could provide one.
>
> Please do!

http://www.diamm.ac.uk/diamm/apps/Source.jsp?navToggle=1&sourceKey=295

MS 65 Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
"The music pages are 2 flyleaves at the end of the ms and bear an
original foliation (XCIII =modern 135, and C =modern 136)."

where the specific locations in the MS could be wrapped as following:
<locus scheme="original">XCIII</locus>
<locus scheme="modern">135</locus>

>> - I wander whether <institution> should actually be part of
>> model.placeNamePart.
>> In this way, leaving the content model of <msIdentifier> as is, you
>> would have a sequence
>> with:
>> * one or more elements -that may occur only once- defining the
>> location in general (members of model.placeNamePart_sequenceOptional)
>> * one or two elements (repository/collection) defining the internal
>> location
>>
>> At the same time though <institution> seems to be a special case of what
>> is now <orgName>. Should this be at least mentioned?
>>

> This does seem problematic. Can an institution have more than one
> physical location? I would rather think that it can: hence it seems to
> be more like an orgName than a placeName. Maybe we should throw out
> institution in favour of orgName ?

Yes, I do agree that <institution> is more like an <orgName> and I
wouldn't cry if we use <orgName> and take out <institution>.

> Is a <repository> a kind of orgName or a kind of placeName? It seems
> more like the latter. the BL Sound Archive for example has more than one
> repository in different places.
>
> No change yet, pending further contemplation.

mh... <repository> seems to be more of a <placeName>.

Arianna

--
Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate