[tei-council] damage - what is it good for?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 10:35:52 EDT 2007

As I proceed through PH wreaking havoc, I have come upon the <damage>
element. This is allegedly used to mark a part of a manuscript within
which there has been some damage to the carrier, e.g. by rubbing or
singeing or spilling marmalade, but not so much as to make the
transcriber unsure of what the writing actually says (if that were the
case, the <unclear> element should be used), nor so extensive as to make
the writing (or the carrier) actually disintegrate or disappear (for
which the <gap> element is available).

As defined, <damage> respects textual structures even less than the
other elements. If it is to be kept, it should probably be given a
sister <damageSpan> (analogous to <delSpan>) so that it can point across
div boundaries for example.  Though even then there isn't any really
satisfactory way of dealing with things like circular spots of damage in
the middle of the page, which have to be split up into numerous <damage>
elements.

But since it is really about the state of the carrier, not the text, why
would you want to record it anyway? I am sorely tempted to just remove
it and see who protests....