[tei-council] concerns regarding <charDesc>

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 19:54:28 EDT 2007

Dear Council members,

As I mentioned briefly during the call, I found a few problems in the
WD-Nonstandard glyphs chapter that I am currently reviewing.

One of them concerns the <charDesc> element.  This element contains a list
of the characters or glyphs that need a special description.  However, the
name of the element is modelled on the other *Desc elements in the header at
various levels.  Now, as far as I can see, all of them are describing a
*single* entity, like <sourceDesc>, <fileDesc>, <encodingDesc> etc. The
content of <charDesc> however is a *list* of things, quite similar to
<listBibl> and other list* elements in the TEI.

To avoid confusion and for consistency with general TEI practice, I would
therefore propose to have this element renamed to <listChar> and at the same
time also to update its <desc>, which currently reads 'provides descriptive
information about characters or glyphs.'  to 'contains a list of <char>
and/or <glyph> elements that provide descriptive information about
characters or glyphs' or something similar.

Please give me your comments,

Christian

--

 Christian Wittern