[tei-council] notes on TC Critical apparatus

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 12:53:48 EDT 2007

Dear council,

I have read the Critical Apparatus chapter, edited the minimal straight
forward mistakes in the prose and send it back to the editors.

These are just my additional notes for things that could be changed, but
that I haven't done:

- "N.B. the term lemma is used here in the text-critical sense of ‘the
reading accepted as that of the original or of the base text’ — it is
not to be confused with ‘the heading of an entry in a reference book,
especially a dictionary, nor with ‘a subsidiary proposition introduced
in the proof of some other proposition; a helping theorem.’"

I would also add:
"...it is not to be confused with ‘the heading of an entry in a
reference book, especially a dictionary,’ *nor with ‘the word's lemma’*,
nor with ‘a subsidiary proposition ..."

- I am not sure why the <witDetail> element has att.placement. Its
purpose isn't to encode the information about a witness as recorded in
the source (therefore least of all where in the source), is it? or am I
missing something?

- the attribute @with has as data type 'data.pointer' when within the
class att.textCritical or att.rdgPart, but has data type 'data.code'
when it is used as attribute of <witDetail>. I can see a possible reason
for this, but I thought I pointed it out if we are aiming to get rid of
these inconsistencies as much as possible.

- "Of course, the sigla used for different witnesses need not be the
same in the source and the wit attribute, as shown particularly in the
apparatus for the second line of the poem (Diet.1.2)."

Do we mean here: "Of course, the sigla used for different witnesses need
not be the same in the *<wit> element* and the @wit attribute, as shown
particularly in the apparatus for the second line of the poem (Diet.1.2)."?

- "For examples of this element, see the following sections. The formal
declaration is given in section 2.3.3 The Editorial Practices Declaration."

Shouldn't this point to 2.3.9 The Variant-Encoding Method Element?

- "<!-- <teiHeader> --> <variantEncoding method="double-end-point"
location="external"/>
<!-- </teiHeader> ... <body> -->"

This is the only example where the <variantEncoding> is commented out.

- " <app from="#WBP.1" to="#WBP-A2">
   <lem wit="#El #Hg">Experience</lem>
   <rdg wit="#La">Experiment</rdg>
   <rdg wit="#Ra2">Eryment</rdg>
  </app>"

If this example is still referring to the internal location of the
apparatus and it is only an alternative to the example above, I don't
understand why is using the @to attribute to point to an anchor in the text.

- the example with <expan> should be substituted with <ex> now,
shouldn't it?

Best,
Arianna

--