[tei-council] how about this one?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Aug 15 20:47:00 EDT 2007

I'm not 100% sure I understand all the nuances (and I don't
understand what "prolixity" means in this context), but my instinct
is that Lou & Conal are right: so long as the area of coverage of a
<zone> is with respect to its closest ancestor <surface>, then
nesting a <zone> in a <zone> just causes confusion.

The question is whether it should be possible to define the area of
(as an alternative to its first ancestor <surface>). Personally, I
think that would add way too much complexity for too little gain, and
that <zone>s should be left as they are.