[tei-council] facsimile diagram

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 12:31:52 EDT 2007

Dear all,

I have tried to catch up with all the emails on the facsimile work, fist
on Conal and Dot's original proposal and than on Lou's draft and I am
sorry I wasn't able to contribute when needed.

To simplify things, I'll report first on the first draft (but only for
those things that I think are still relevant for the new draft, since we
don't want to waste time, I believe...) and then in my next email on the
new draft revised by Lou.

########## General structure and preference for stand-off ###########

I do like the model Conal proposed (facsimile/text). Between the two
examples of markup Conan quoted, I would prefer the second one or
stand-off sample, since it looks cleaner to me. [this relates to some
comments on the new draft to follow]

########## Avoid 'page' or make definitions more general ###########

SR> So please, don't tie us down to page breaks!

As said in Berlin I agree with this; however, the definition page breaks
(or begin...better) could be may be expanded to include scenarios where
we don't really have beginning of new pages as such, but new units (e.g.
gravestone surfaces, membranes of rolls etc...).

In my mind the <surface> was something conceptual rather then physical,
so I was also going to propose something more convoluted such as 'The
<surface> element represents a conceptual unit (page, membrane etc.) of
the source material that can have one or more physical realisations.',
but then I saw the discussion on coordinates and realised that it may be
better to highlight its physical character for practical reasons.

In general I would try to substitute 'page' with 'source unit' or
similar.  [I have seen Lou has corrected this already in the new draft]

########### Relationship with <surrogates> ###########

CD>if graphic were added to the att.declaring class, it could use @decls
to point to a bibl that describes it

Agree. We should include the explicit relationship between <surrogates>
and the content of <surface> as Conan has explained it and ideally
<graphic> should be added to the att.declaring class.

Arianna