[tei-council] updated facsimile odd

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 04:16:04 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Christian Wittern wrote:
>> Let's assume you have a page of 297x210mm, which is covered by the
>> surface element, which gives you also a grid of 0 0 100 100 to work
>> from.  The grid is more like the one you have on maps, which simple
>> go from A, B, C, D,... and 1, 2, 3, 4, ... which allows you to say
>> that something you are interested in is in C1, without any need to
>> worry about the scale of the map.  In the same way, you could say
>> there is a spot of spilled ink at 20 20 40 40.  If and only if you
>> want to know the size of this spot, then you will need to look up the
>> dimensions and calculate the scale factor.
>>

> Exactly. I will steal this explanation for the draft!
My pleasure, but you have to clean up the English yourself:-(

>>> I think real world object coordinates would be brilliant to have.
>>> Conservators would love them too, I bet, since they would be image
>>> independent (you'd just need to add new reference coordinates to your
>>> lookup table). But we are simply not talking about that or any other
>>> measurement as far as I can see.
>>>
>> See above, I think we can't really do without providing the
>> possibility of registering dimensions.
>>

> Is there a negative too many in that sentence, or are you suggesting
> we *should* include the dimensions of the original somewhere? and if
> so, how?

Yes, lets have dimensions.  As to the details, well... If we have a
serious of page-scans of the same size, it would surely be enough to
have one <dimension> child on <facsimile>.  Otherwise, if we have
<surface> elements to provide for multiple graphics, I'd suggest a
<dimension> child there as well.

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern