[tei-council] updated facsimile odd

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Aug 8 19:41:56 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:13 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Christian Wittern wrote:
> > As I understand it you link to the surface coordinates and then go and
> > see which graphic covers the area you are interested in.  That seems
> > to be the whole point of this indirection.
> umm. expand on "the surface coordinates" for me. if they are unitless
> and unbounded,
> they cannot mean anything.

I think myself subject to clarification that we should be calling a
spade a spade here: everything in the ODD and its description suggests
to me that we are counting pixels. If we were doing anything else surely
we'd need some kind of translation table and discussion of how real
world measurements get converted to locations on the image?

I think real world object coordinates would be brilliant to have.
Conservators would love them too, I bet, since they would be image
independent (you'd just need to add new reference coordinates to your
lookup table). But we are simply not talking about that or any other
measurement as far as I can see.

The hi/lo res issue is an important one: if I have
surface/graphic at id="hi1"|graphic at id="lo1" then the references for the
bottom right corners of the box (at least) will be different in each;
and if we are not starting in 0,0, then botheth sets will be different.
Should we perhaps somehow indicate a reference image in those cases?
This would allow the images to be aligned, since one would be expressed
in terms of the other. Of course, then surtheface is starting to look
like app; but that's neither here nor there ;)

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English

Department of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
Vox +1 403 329-2377