[tei-council] Re: Facsimile Draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 08:57:10 EDT 2007

Lou Burnard wrote:
> Christian picked this one up too. No gi because the intention was to use the
> refer to the thing the tags denote (i.e. TEI Header rather than <teiHeader> )
> but the word "element" confuses things somewhat

I think if you remove the word element, then it is fine.

> the rule of thumb is that if you have more than one <graphic> directly inside a
> <facsimile> then they are NOT alternatives ; if however they are inside a
> <surface> or an <area> then they always are. So if you have multiple
> (non-altermnationg) images, each one has to be within its own <surface>  or
> <area>. There's a sense then in which it is a special kind of <choice> but I
> don't want to get Daniel started.

So:
choice.  I suppose that makes sense.  But surely I might want to (in the
same output) use one of these graphics in one place, and another in another
place.

>> - I still don't like @box as a name, but I have no better suggestions.
> the floor is open... but please dont suggest @coords (too general). I  preferred
> it to @rect because it's a complete word and shorter and doesnt sound faintly rude

I wasn't going to suggest @coords.  I suppose it isn't politic to point out
that 'box' in much international english slang is certainly a rude word
rather than faintly rude.  I'm sure I can think of some dodgy (to some)
sounding poster proposals.

> It's the same image as the one Conal uploaded to the wiki and I thought I'd
> copied it into the Drafts website at the URL given in the ODD, but I now see I
> haven't. Will fix later this afternoon. But note that this image is copyright
> (as well as hard to read), so I would rather find an out of copyright and more
> legible casae for P5.

It is a Bodley image if memory serves.  They have been quite good about
giving gratis permission to use their images for teaching purposes when I
have used bits of MS Digby 133.  But you are right, overall, maybe we
should find some nice images which have more useful licenses.  I'm sure
that I have some of some monuments which have writing on somewhere that I'd
happily place in the public domain.

> ooh yes yes please.

Well, you know who to ask, I don't think they ever got around to depositing
with the OTA. ;-)

> So how many council members are (a) on the beach (b) in Montreal this week?

Neither sadly, but I did have a nice lunch in the sun... but I'm sure I
shouldn't be boring the rest of Council with its details.

-James