[tei-council] Re: Facsimile Draft

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 07:09:27 EDT 2007

Dear Lou/Conal/Dot/et alia,

Apologies for my delay in looking over the most recent facsimile draft.
I've read the ODD and the following little niggles are what occur to me.  I
am basically happy with it as it is, and think it should be integrated with
P5 (but because of its importance expanded with more examples).

Niggles:

<item>a TEI Header and a text</item>
<item>a TEI Header and a facsimile element</item>
<item>a TEI Header, a facsimile, and a text</item>

- 'text' vs 'facsimile element' vs 'facsimile'.  Confusing.  Use the same
mode of expression throughout.  Why no use of <gi>?

- I like the potential use of binaryObject ... could we have an example?
(And I suppose you don't want to know that it potentially is a patent
conflict with microsoft ... them suing us would be good publicity I suppose.)

- I like being able to just have a list of graphics without
surfaces/zones/etc, that is a good simple case.  I don't like so much the
just putting facs="page1.png" on pb elements... but since it is a pointer I
don't think we can really control that, and obviously some others here
think that is better.

- Is surface a form of choice?  Should the fact that it isn't be
highlighted somewhere.  (i.e. that you might want to point to more than one
of these simultaneously somewhere?)

- I still don't like @box as a name, but I have no better suggestions.

"blah blah I cant <lb/> help they only taught me old english in print form"

- Which image is it again that you're reading, as council happens to have a
few medievalists on it at the moment, I'm sure we can transcribe it more
accurately.  Perhaps we should also include some other manuscript and even
print sources as examples?  (Maybe a Wilfred Owen  Postcard or some such?
with recto and verso images.)

-James