[tei-council] facsimile draft

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun Aug 5 17:07:12 EDT 2007

As mentioned in the call, I've been working on trying to produce a
section about facsimile markup which could be plugged into the current
chapter on physical transcription, using as many as possible of the
ideas discussed here by Conal and others over the last few weeks.

Time is running out, and we need to get closure on this, so I hope Conal
and Dot will excuse me for steaming ahead on this without consulting
with them privately first. I've used the documents circulated and
followed (as far as I can) the discussion so far to produce a
straw-person kind of a draft which is now posted for your (particularly
their) urgent attention at http://www.tei-c.org/Drafts/facs.odd

I've deliberately restricted the scope of what this draft makes possible
to what I hope we can all agree on as a bare minimum of functionality.
It supports linking from text to image and image to text with a minimum
of fuss ; it also supports linking between text and image fragments, but
only provides one way to do it. It tries to fit in with existing TEI
idiom and practice.

It is however in desperate need of help on the following counts:

-- I haven't the faintest idea how to transcribe the  Old English ms
we're using as an example. (The one Conal circulated earlier). Either
someone needs to transcribe it for me, or I need to find another example
which I can transcribe. (Actually, as this one claims to be copyright of
the Bodleian, the second is probably the wiser course)

-- in defining how the co-ordinate system works, I have had to rely on
my vague recollections of O level maths. Someone who actually knows
about this stuff should read it carefully to see how plausible this is.
Also how feasible it is to implement it!

-- I've also made a wild guess about how to specify the datatype of my
@box attribute (formerly known as @coords -- I renamed it because it is
considerably more restricted than the synonymous XHTML attribute)

All comments, bouquets, and brickbats gratefully received

Lou