[tei-council] facsimile diagram

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 3 02:26:03 EDT 2007

Conal Tuohy wrote:
> Let me just stop you there to note that the hierarchy is really:
> surface/(graphic|zone) - i.e. the graphics and zones are siblings.

Yes, I was confused about this. Mea culpa.

> It's true I didn't mean to imply that a graphic could act as a zone - I
> don't think people should in general be linking bits of text to those
> graphics.

So really people should only be linking to and from zones generally.

> I think a detail shot would typically have a higher resolution wouldn't
> it? There wouldn't be much point if the detail shot were just a cropped
> version of the full page.

I've known ppl to do stranger things.

> Here I think you've gone astray. In the proposed model, the graphics do
> not "have" zones, nor do the zones "have" graphics. The graphics and
> zones are siblings, and relate to each other only in that the occupy
> regions in the same 2-dimensional space (represented by their common
> parent element, a <surface/>).

Yup I was confused.

> Within the same <surface/> as the stamp's <zone/>, there would be some
> <graphic/> elements, and if those graphics had @coords which overlapped
> the @coords of the stamp's zone, then those graphics would actually
> depict the stamp itself. Any of those associated graphics might be used
> to present a view of that zone. Obviously a graphic whose coords
> entirely enclosed the coords of the zone would be best (because it will
> show the full stamp), and a graphic whose resolution is higher will be
> better (if zooming), etc.

Ok, and if those graphic/@coords are relative to the surface, how do we on the
surface indicate what unit of measurement they are using?  Surely a surface may
be measured in all sorts of units (millimetres, inches, metres,
kilometres,etc.)?  How do I know that one graphic is higher resolution than the
other?  i.e. they both cover the same area of the surface "0 0 100 100" but one
was taken with a hi-res camera, and one was taken quite awhile ago with some
low-res camera.  How is that resolution indicated?

> Does that help?

Yes, greatly.  Don't think I've got it entirely.

Best,
-James