[tei-council] facsimile diagram

Conal Tuohy conal.tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Thu Aug 2 20:19:07 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:43 +0100, James Cummings wrote:
> In the call you said something like that in the surface/graphic/zone
> hierarchy

Let me just stop you there to note that the hierarchy is really:
surface/(graphic|zone) - i.e. the graphics and zones are siblings.

> the graphic could be a full page/wall/whatever or could equally
> be a small detail of that surface.  I just want to make sure I'm
> understanding this right, it isn't that graphic can act as a zone,

It's true I didn't mean to imply that a graphic could act as a zone - I
don't think people should in general be linking bits of text to those
graphics.

> ... but that
> you could have two graphics, one full page, one same resolution but
> close-up-macro-shot-of-detail?

I think a detail shot would typically have a higher resolution wouldn't
it? There wouldn't be much point if the detail shot were just a cropped
version of the full page.

> If the first graphic had a zone ...

Here I think you've gone astray. In the proposed model, the graphics do
not "have" zones, nor do the zones "have" graphics. The graphics and
zones are siblings, and relate to each other only in that the occupy
regions in the same 2-dimensional space (represented by their common
parent element, a <surface/>).

Let's go through an example:

Say you have a manuscript with an interesting stamp on it, which you
want to be able to highlight in some presentation system.

Somewhere within the <tei:text> you would represent that stamp in your
transcript with <stamp/> (a "semantic" representation of the stamp).

Somewhere within the <tei:facsimile> (specifically, within a particular
<surface/> representing the page the stamp appeared on), you'd
represent the stamp as a <zone/> (with a @corresp or similar link to the
<stamp/>). This would be a purely "cartesian" representation of the
stamp.

Within the same <surface/> as the stamp's <zone/>, there would be some
<graphic/> elements, and if those graphics had @coords which overlapped
the @coords of the stamp's zone, then those graphics would actually
depict the stamp itself. Any of those associated graphics might be used
to present a view of that zone. Obviously a graphic whose coords
entirely enclosed the coords of the zone would be best (because it will
show the full stamp), and a graphic whose resolution is higher will be
better (if zooming), etc.

Does that help?

Cheers

Con