[tei-council] <dimensions> reduex

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Aug 2 07:07:02 EDT 2007

OK, I've reinstated the <dimensions> element, making it and its
children members of the class att.dimensions (previously
att.measured), which has unit=, quantity=, and scope=.
Correspondingly I've put <measure> back into att.measurement, which
has unit=, quantity=, and commodity=. Since the two unit= attributes
are described quite differently, I don't think it is worth factoring
things out further, here. (Except perhaps for scope=, more in a
moment.)

I found that the previous content model for <dimensions> was
   ( height?, width?, depth? )+
which is equivalent to
   ( height | width | depth )*
There was some prose in the Guidelines that attempted explained the
utility of multiple occurences of the children elements, but the
example that purported to demonstrate this actually used multiple
<dimensions> elements, each with at most 1 child of each type. So I
changed the content model to
   ( height?, width?, depth? )
and tweaked the prose accordingly.

On scope=
-- ------
Since the unit= for <space> is closer to that of <width> than that of
<measure>, I made it a member of att.dimensions. This gives it a
scope= attribute, which we may think is so bizarre as to be worth
doing something about.

At the moment I am not sure what to do about this for P5 1.0. So I am
leaving it is, realizing that we may decide this is in error, and fix
it somehow within the next few days.

One idea would be to factor out the scope= attribute to a new
members of att.scoped, but not <space>.

I find the use of scope= in the examples in the <dimensions> tagdoc
confsuing. The example uses the value "range", which indicates that
the <height> it is specified on only applies to a certain range of
the leaves in the entire manuscript. But the content also indicates a
range ("157-160") -- ostensibly the height of each leaf is from 157
to 160 mm (inclusive) within the range of leaves to which this
<height> applies. And, AFAIK, there is no way to indicate what range
of leaves this height applies to. The example would be clearer, I
think, if the element with scope="range" had a single value as its
content (or value of quantity=), and some other element had a range
as its content. Or am I missing something?