[tei-council] facsimile diagram

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Thu Aug 2 06:34:14 EDT 2007

Hello Everyone,

On 8/2/07, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
> I still prefer the idea of recursive surfaces
>
> TEI -> header, facsimile? , text?
>
> facsimile -> front?, (surface+ | model.graphicLike+), back?)
>
> surface -> (model.graphicLike*, surface*)
>
> This allows for the possibility that you might have additional images
> for particularly interesting bits of the page ("zone"s in your terminologuy)

It is important to allow for both coordinates pointing into image
files and for separate "zone" images, however it's done.

> The big headache for me is the attributes. The draft I am working on
> proposes a new global attribute @facs to point from any element to a
> corresponding surface (or zone) but we need more than that.

Please, not global. I don't think @facs would make sense on any
element in the header (except maybe for some in msDesc). Perhaps on
children of <text>?

> James reminded me that there is work in the MPEG/ISO/W3C communities on
> defining new Xpointer schemes to point into assorted kinds of multimedia
> which we should at least acknowledge somewhere.

Conal had looked into this several months ago and had I believe
included it in a very early draft of the plan, but at that time the
multimedia Xpointer scheme was only for pointing into audio/video
files and not into still images (which would have made our work much
easier). This may have changed.

> Conal Tuohy wrote:
> >
> > http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/trac/TEIP5/attachment/ticket/291/fax-example.jpg
> >
> > Please take a look at it to make sure we are all on the same page (pun intended) regarding the meaning of the proposed terms, since the proposed element names have changed as a result of last week's discussion.
> >
> > The diagram shows 1 page with 1 associated graphic, and 4 zones:

> > A <graphic> represents a digital image of that page. In the example the graphic covers an area slightly larger than the page itself (represented by the <surface> element).
> >
> > A <zone> represents a rectangular area on a page. In the example the zones show 4 areas of interest, which would be linked to pieces of transcript.
> >
> > I will upload some other updated material after dinner (shortly)
> >
> > Conal

Dot Porter, University of Kentucky
#####
Program Coordinator
Collaboratory for Research in Computing for Humanities
dporter at uky.edu          859-257-9549
#####
Editorial Assistant, REVEAL Project
Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments
porter at vis.uky.edu