[tei-council] rendition/rend proposal

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 06:02:06 EDT 2007

I think this is essentially a lovely proposal,which I see no difficulty
in integrating into P5 1.0. I have the following minor reservations:

a) when I print it on A4 paper the right hand edge of each page
disappears. Tsk tsk.

b) @rendition is not such a nice name. Would @style be better (OK I know
it's exactly not what HTML @style is but @class would be really
confusing)? @rendPtr ? @render ?

@render has the implied semantics that this is how you should render the
document, not how it was originally rendered. On the other hand I am not
sure that maintaining this distinction is sustainable anyway: most
production systems that I know of will take what the TEI document says
about source rendition and use it to determine the output rendition anyway.