[tei-council] time is running out ... <measure> and <ps>

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Mon Jul 30 18:04:59 EDT 2007

> > * The "suggested values include" list for unit= of <measure> should
> >   be pretty much as all-encompassing as we can get it.
> >
> I think this is a silly idea. We don't supply exhaustive lists of
> language identifiers, but refer to places where people can find them.
> Same applies to standard names for units.

But we don't supply a list of language identifiers because we can't,
they're combinatorial. Just including language, script, and region
subtags (i.e. not including variant, extension, and of course not
private use subtags), there are over 17 million possibilities.[1]

If we all put our heads together and tried I doubt we'd come up with
100 units.

Notes
-----
[1] Yes, probably a good portion of those are non-sensical
    combinations, like English written in Cyrillic in Latin America.
    Doesn't matter. Even if only 1% of the combinations are sensible,
    that's still over 170,000 of 'em.