[tei-council] time is running out ... <measure> and <ps>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 17:08:17 EDT 2007

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I tried to review this discussion in order to contribute something,
> but I just cannot get a handle on it.
>

> - @scope I simply dont grok at all, and cannot imagine ever using. You
>   bother to supply a measurement, but then cross your fingers behind
>   your back and say "well, maybe not". I'd leave it out :-}
It's intended for uses where you want to say "the measurements of most
pages in this book are x y z; but it's not guaranteed that all of them
are (some have been gnawed by moths)". It was present in the
<dimensions> element in ms description.

> - @commodity similarly. If you cant agree, throw it out
this is needed for normalising historical data (because e.g. 1 imperial
flarg of hops is different from 1 imperial flarg of treacle)

> - plain text in <measureGrp>. can someone remind me the use case
>  for this? at first sight (looking at the examples) I don't see it.

<measureGrp>12 x 11 x 4</measureGrp>

(i.e. what used to be inside <dimensions>)

Really, I think the best solution is to bring back <dimensions>!