[tei-council] facsimile - low-end markup

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 13:47:43 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 01:19:49AM +1200, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> There seems to be a consensus that at least a minimal facsimile markup is really needed in P5 version 1.0.

well, I'd remove the word "minimal". I want facsimile markup
in P5.  I want something better than the flawed <pb url="">
hack. I want to explicitly model facsimiles, and discuss
portions of them; and I want to link those to portions
of my text in various ways.

Simple example from my world: gravestones. The stone
has several surfaces ("pages" if you like), for which
I have pictures of various kinds, rubbings etc. There
are several inscriptions on each face, and maybe a graffito.
There are no page breaks in the <text> here to link to,
I use some other structure to represent the surfaces
and the portions of text. Yes, I know a gravestone
isn't a book or a manuscript, but its close.

So please, don't tie us down to page breaks!

Not sure why we are having the philosophical discussion again -
council agreed ages back, strongly, that we want the standoff
facsimile markup in P5. Its just a matter of agreeing
details of the tags, isn't it?

Sebastian