[tei-council] facsimile - low-end markup

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Jul 26 11:10:23 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 09:28 -0400, Dot Porter wrote:
> Yes, yes, yes. Conal's minimum recommendation is exactly what, at
> minimum, I would like to see. It would work for projects with only one
> set of image files, which would be (I expect) most projects.
>
> For projects with multiple sets of images, we might simply point to
> METS (for now) rather than trying to put in something of our own.

I agree it is the minimum for P5 and easily doable. Is there more that
can be incorporated, however?

> Dot
>
> On 7/26/07, Conal Tuohy <Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> > There seems to be a consensus that at least a minimal facsimile markup is really needed in P5 version 1.0.
> >
> > This needs to support the case of a transcript with a single set of page images (i.e. each page would have an optional image file associated with it). The simplest way would be to extend <pb> to add a URL attribute pointing to the facsimile graphic. e.g.
> >
> > <pb graphic="p1.png" n="1" xml:id="p1"/>
> >
> > I believe this is as far as Syd thinks we should go at this point, but I think there is also a strongly felt need for a mechanism to assign graphical coordinates to pieces of text, which we should address. This is most easily done by adding an optional @coords attribute to elements which can appear inside <text>. e.g.

> > This is about as far as many "facsimile" customisations of TEI have gone, and I think this is also a sensible minimum. NB this minimum would not use <graphic> elements to encode the facsimile images, hence it does not require a <facsimile> element.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
University of Lethbridge