[tei-council] linking text to image, facsimiles -- what to do?

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Jul 25 23:39:40 EDT 2007

First, some thoughts on specifics:

Whatever we end up doing, we should not be using corresp= as part of
a system for linking text to images. In fact, I don't think we should
make any specific recommendations that rely on the use of corresp=.
(Examples of it being used are fine, of course.) It is a general-
purpose attribute whose specific semantics should generally be left
to the user. In any case where it would be useful to suggest it as a
mechanism in the Guidelines, we should probably be coming up with a
specific-purpose attribute, instead.

various> [facsimiles should be in <sourceDesc>]
LB> [No, it should not]
LB> The syllogism seems to be: ... distinct from the source it
LB> purports to represent.

I agree with everything Lou has said up to this point in his posting
pretty emphatically. A facsimile is not metadata about the source,
and even if it were, it isn't a *description* of the source in any
way, shape, or form, and thus does not belong in <sourceDesc>.

LB> In fact, it seems to me the relationship between a transcription
LB> of a source and the original is almost identical to the
LB> relationship between a facsimile of it and the original.

I am not nearly as convinced of this statement. I am convinced that a
transcription requires interpretation. While I am open to discussion
on the subject, my gut instinct is that a scanned page image does
not. However, I'm not sure we need to agree on this philosophical
issue to move forward.

LB> One translates a reading letter by letter, and the other
LB> translates a reading dot by dot, but they are both readings and
LB> as such I would like to give them the same ontological standing
LB> in my encoding.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean here, Lou, or not
understanding some nuance, but this seems at least wrong, if not
blasphemous. I don't think of a facsimile (i.e., a page image) as a
reading at all -- it is read, but it is not a reading. An encoded
transcription is one or more readings.

LB> Surely the TEI ought to be offering a way of encoding digital
LB> facsimile editions as well as digital transcriptions?

No, this does not seem like a given at all. It may be something we
want to do in the end, but it is not obvious. The "T" in "TEI" stands
for *text*. Do we want to become the Text and Images of Thereof Encoding
Initiative? I dunno.

LB> Wouldn't it be nice to offer a way of growing one kind into the
LB> other without doing violence to the basic TEI model?

Maybe.

LB> If we are going to have markup which describes the page images
LB> themselves, as digital objects, then the set of page images
LB> constituting a work isa kind of "text" itself and should be
LB> treated as such.

With this we would end up with TEI files that look like

<TEI xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0">
  <teiHeader>
    <!-- ... -->
  </teiHeader>
  <facsimile>
    <!-- ... <pg> or <zone> or whatever goes here -->
  </facsimile>
</TEI>

But a <teiHeader> is explicitly, and mostly carefully, crafted to
contain metadata about *text*. There is lots of metadata about
*images* for which it is currently ill-suited.

I know that this has been brought up before, but I'm afraid I need to
be reminded ... what is it that METS doesn't do that makes us want to
reinvent this wheel? I am (very) far from an expert in METS, but it
is worth noting that METS is designed not only to describe the
relationships between (e.g.) TEI elements and facsimile images, but
to be a mechanism for storing metadata about the images.

The suggestion of developing a complete mechanism for describing
facsimiles and providing linkages, and to have it replace <text> is
not a small invisible-to-the-user change like fixing the name of a
class; this also doesn't seem like an obvious improvement right up
the TEI's alley like mechanisms for encoding postscripts, manuscript
descriptions, or physical bibliographic information. I'm worried that
this is even more than a small addition that "pushes the envelope"
like personagraphy does.

I'm not saying that the TEI should not do this. I am suggesting that
we should not rush into it without more care than can be applied in
the remaining week. I think this is a 1.1 or 1.2 issue.

That said, I think having a *simple* mechanism that correlates page
breaks (and perhaps other milestone elements) to a single scanned
image of the page (that follows the <pb>) is pretty much a
requirement for 1.0. Quite a few users have mentioned their desire
for this to me, one of whom is Martin Mueller; thus I think of this
as a solution for "the Martin Mueller's of the world".

Again, it is not ideal for us to recommend "use corresp=" (although
even that is better than nothing), as there may well be other
correspondences that apply to <pb>s which a user would want to
encode.

This mechanism should NOT:
* permit linking to multiple images (thumbnails, high-res, Xray,
  etc.)
* permit linking to a portion of an image above and beyond what one
  can do in a standard URL (i.e., w/ XPointer)
* require indirection to get to the image (beyond perhaps resolving a
  URN to a URL)
* require table-lookup, decoding, or use of NOTATIONs (except of
  course resolution of entity references as required by XML, and of %
  escaped characters as per URLs)
* use more than one attribute

This mechanism SHOULD:
* be expandable -- if we decide to go with a system like Conal's, it
  would be nice if we could make use of this simple mechanism and
  build upon it, if it seemed like the right thing to do; if we
  decide to add cRef= like shortcuts later, we should be able to

Personally, I think it should just be an attribute that is declared
as a single data.pointer that points to the image. No MIME type, no
indirection, no regular expression to resolve to get the URI. Just a
pointer -- a simple URI. We just have to name the attribute such that
its semantics could be expanded in the future, if we want.

I hope this post makes sense. G'night.